Friday, June 24, 2005

Life in the fast lane

Just to calm some of the worries of those reading these posts-the Autobahn is designed for high speeds. It is more dangerous to travel slowly than it is to go fast. The lanes are wider, and the traffic is all experienced drivers. I posted some pictures on the blog, sorry that they are so old, I will get some recent ones on the web and get them posted.
life continues to move at an ever increasing pace, and I find myself wishing that I was a little kid again. Life was simple back then...All that I knew was Lego's and the confines of Camelia Ct. I didn't have to worry about the terror alert, the euro-dollar exchange rate, or what dictator in Korea was threatening the world with WMD's. Sometimes it makes me sad to see how corrupt our world has become. Then I ask myself, is it any different than when is was little?
-"the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing," sir Edmund Burke-
I could pawn off the problems today on the next generation-Hussein, Kim jog IL, china, Syria-the list of horrible leaders goes on and I wonder if our country is any better off...Is bush the right president? Is the war on terror worth the cost? Will there be any benefit to the bloodshed?
I look around me and I see an immense chasm being forged in America-WWII was different-that was the greatest generation..."Never has so much been owed, by so many, to so few," Churchill. Where are the patriots? Where is the love of country? How has the power of the Constitution of the United States been perverted? Was it my fault?
My friends, and complete strangers, look at me differently. I wear the Uniform of our armed forces, I have fought for freedom, and it is a steep cost. I have watched the spirit of liberty leave the body of a fallen comrade-an image that has been burned into my memory, so that I can never forget what the cost of freedom really is...FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.
When did Americans forget the Kennedy calling-
"We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans--born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage--and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.
Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
This much we pledge--and more.
To those new states whom we welcome to the ranks of the free, we pledge our word that one form of colonial control shall not have passed away merely to be replaced by a far more iron tyranny. We shall not always expect to find them supporting our view. But we shall always hope to find them strongly supporting their own freedom--and to remember that, in the past, those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.
Can we forge against these enemies a grand and global alliance, North and South, East and West, that can assure a more fruitful life for all mankind? Will you join in that historic effort?
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility--I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it--and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country."

just a few thoughts that have been running through my head.
think about it-do you want to be remembered as the generation that let the fruit of liberty go bad, or the one that pruned the tree of liberty and brought forth more fruit than any generation before...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it....loved it.

Anonymous said...

Yo, Andrew, Thanks for everything your doing over there for us. It's great to hear about you from Tom. Keep up the great work

randy